Built in 1909 for the Ellensburg Brewing and Malting Co., the original two story brick building was valued at $16,000. Located on the southwest corner of Third and Pearl Streets, it opened in November 1909 as the Majestic Hotel. The structure was renamed the St. Regis in 1913 when it was purchased by Fred Groger who added a third floor to the hotel. In 1937 William Webster purchased the hotel which was renamed the Webster Hotel.
The fire started on January 30, 1980 in a ground floor room which quickly spread through the entire hotel. Fighting the fire during below zero winter weather, firefighters soon encased the old hotel in ice. By the spring of 1980, the ruins of the completely destroyed building had to be removed.